Monday, September 26, 2011

The Ditching Demon - Stop running Fool

So, those who know will undoubtedly be familiar with my disappearing acts.  From the immediate ones - leaving a club without a word that i am leaving.  To the large - skipping town, the province and sometimes the country.

The odd thing is just before I am about to ditch whatever I feel needs to be ditched, I think about what exactly the problem is and in my final assessment it is largely viewed as uncomfortable or unsafe therefore to leave would be the most logical thought... Correct?

Should our feeling of safety ever really be compromised for another's comfort?  Can forgoing dependability on ourselves really make any situation better?  In my experience I have learnt that as soon as I feel even slightly uneasy, in any given situation, I will run.  In theory this may seem very practical but in context of the world and the people in it, it actually removes one from the rest of the world.


In other words, in the wild if an antelope senses danger he will run because more often than not the antelope is correct in thinking that there is a crouching lion getting ready to devour.  But with people the scenario is very different due in large part to emotions and the depth we as humans can go into our emotions therefore the complexities behind our "safety" is far more perplexed than that of the antelopes.  People are far less likely to jump on our back and rip open our necks with their teeth.


I am tired of running away, so two things happened - one directly and the other indirectly - that would assist in Ditching the Ditching Demon.
One - I remained working on a project I was not thrilled at all to be part of.
Two - My family packed up house and left Johannesburg before my contract had even come near to the end.  So in essence I was left behind this time.

So what is the moral of the story here?  It is far easier to run away from our problems than it is to face them and see it through till the end.  The funny thing is when we run our problems undoubtedly chase so the time spent running is ten times longer than what the time would be if we just turned and faced them.

"It's the sparkle you become...
    When you conquer anxiety" - Bjork

4 comments:

Mind Of Mine said...

We are very similar in this respect. I have often ditched jobs, homes and lives at the drop of a heartbeat. Some could call it running way, others could call that internal search to avoid what bores us or bogs us down.

If I am not having fun in a club, I leave. I might not like the next club I go to either but at least I have checked it out.

Same can be said for our living situations.

Mistress Maddie said...

A great post with a good point!!! The past and problems will always catch up! And the club thing is funny. In my group my famous for the one to just up and leave. They assume Im either bored and hooked up to get a piece. And in most cases they're right!!!!

DeepBlue said...

Very good post. I came to a point where I didn't even want to get involved just because I knew it would threaten my comfort zone.

If we want to grow, we must be ready to move the furniture around!
Hugs
Jon

word verification: "groping"

Supatube said...

@MoM... I think the next time you run, we should meet half way. LOL
@maddie... hahaha, I hear that. Funny how when we get bored we immediately find something to put in our mouths...lol
@DeepBlue... move that furniture man, else you will never know how you really like it.