Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mulholland Drive


By far one of my favorite movies ever made. Its a love story like no other, completely dark, sad, confusing, dripping in disdain but it is a true gem at capturing 'crazy love'.

Have you ever been so in love with someone you found yourself not only acting outside your own personal box but acting destructively? This is that story taken to the extreme.
But wait a minute, if its going to be a hollywood movie does that not mean that we need to follow the story of someone good not someone bad which is why I love this movie. She is human and like any human we have that innate ability to act good and bad. It is us who decide how to react to any given circumstance but we as humans should also try act in good.
This is not the case for our sort of hero in this particular piece of Narrative Film.
I feel this movie is based almost entirely in that 'few minutes before you
die and your life flashes before your eyes' type thing.
What if its not the few moment before your organs stop working?
What if your soul starts to leave your body while its still breathing?
What if when it flashes its of a life you want to remember?
What if you somehow alter your perception of how you lived?
What if your conscience could just leave your side for a bit?
Diane's conscience left her side for a brief moment, just long enough for
her to become Betty and try real hard in forgetting what terrible things she has done.

So I have this very long explanation for this movie. I
am going to slowly rewatch it and with the help of the directors clues show you point by point how I come to my conclusion of the film...


1. Pay attention in the beginning: 2 clues are revealed before the credits.
2. Notice appearances of the red lampshade.
3. Can you hear the title of the film that Adam is auditioning actresses for?
4. An accident is a terrible event... notice the location of the accident.
5. Who gives a key, and why?
6. Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.
7. What is felt, realized and gathered at the club
Silencio?
8. Did talent alone help Camilla?
9. Notice the occurrences surrounding the man behind
Winkie's.
10. Where is Aunt Ruth?


Stay tuned:-D


2 comments:

Jackdaw said...

I saw this film a few years ago at home. While watching I decided it was better than mainstream, but I was wondering which direction the story would go... until... until a certain point. People who have seen the film you will know exactly which point I mean. At that point I was intrigued, but I kinda expected all the pieces to fall into place, and for the story to make sense. It didn't and I cannot remember ever before feeling pissed off at the director of a film. I though the film was crap, because I felt that someone as intelligent as myself should be able to understand it.

I checked the forum on IMDb.com where I usually go to laugh about the stupid questions people ask about films... Now I was the one with 'stupid' questions. I read more about the clues and got more and more convinced that I was fooled by the director. I decided the film did NOTHING for me, until I suddenly realised it invoked more emotions than most films I've watched, albeit on a meta level. The next day I bought it on DVD, because I wanted to check the theories I had read. Unfortunately, I haven't watched it a second time yet.

Do you have any advice of what I should focus on, watching it the second time?

Supatube said...

Focus on the old people and what they represent to betty.
Concentrate at the opera, it tells so much.
take note of their love affair, how fast it happens, the passion. This is a dark love story, one where a person is so in love, so infatuated with someone else who in actual fact does not feel the same way.

take note of how betty is noticed, by the casting crew, by the director... and then see how she is actually a plain jane.

its a fun movie to get into because you can make what you want from it. So play with the movie like a puzzle that might only make sense to you.
I think I have a theory but then i watch it again and so much more information is thrown at me that i have to rework that theory, hehehe.

Enjoy it!